Friday, May 25, 2007

Wonderful White Tea


Most of us have heard of the virtues of green tea but have you heard about white tea? White tea is something you need to know about from a health benefit and taste perspective.

All tea comes from the same plant but white tea is unique. The tiny unopened buds get the least amount of processing and therefore contain the highest level of antioxidants of any tea variety. We've recently substituted white tea for our regular orange pekoe whenever possible and I don't mind a bit.

White tea can reduce dental cavities and can kill strep and staph infections so in our house we have taken to drinking it whenever anyone is feeling ill. It has a light, sweet taste and I'm telling everyone I know about the many benefits of white tea.

Find white tea that is organic if possible and look for tea from the Fujian province of China to get the most benefit. I usually take sugar in my tea as well but with white tea I find that I need less than half my usual amount. Taking it black instead of milk is also said to be better for you.

White tea boasts many benefits including: blood pressure help, cholesterol levels, protection from free radicals that can cause cancer and premature aging and because white tea contains less caffeine than other teas, it's a healthier alternative all around.

The jury is still out on whether or not white tea will help your metabolism in the way that green tea can but with all the associated benefits of this tea, it's a great idea to give it a try.

I love using brewed tea also to: feed my houseplants and use it as a base for gravy and soups. Next time you make soup, try using green tea, black tea or white tea as a base for a bit of extra flavour or if you'd like something really exotic give Chai a try.

No comments: