Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Writing Cheques Your Body Can't Cash

Are you worried about losing mobility or feeling achy and sore all the time? Can you still get on the floor and play with your kids and do somersaults? I'm in my mid 30's and am a freelance writer that spends a lot of time sitting on my duff writing for a living. As a result, I don't want to grow the middle aged spread in a few years and I don't want to not be able to run and play and roll around with my kids.

Challenge yourself so your body will work hard. If you only do very basic activities every day and never get out of breath or sweaty, you will soon become so sedentary that it will impact your health.

Here are some calorie burning, exerting activities that you can do when you can't get to the gym:

-Skip steps when climbing up the stairs. Skip two steps if you feel really agile!
-Sit on a stability ball to watch tv (or ride your stationery bike while watching tv)
-Get a stability ball for your desk too, you can sit on it at work or at home while you surf
-Do lunges or squats while waiting at the microwave (although I don't endorse microwaves, I mean while you're waiting for timers to ring) or the vegetable steamer, waiting to put the fabric softener in the washer, etc.
-Do ab tightening and kegels in line at the bank, supermarket, etc. To do ab tightening, pull your belly button in for the count of five and then release for the count of five (don't forget to breathe!)
-Fidget. Fidgeters who jiggle legs, etc can burn calories without even trying.
-have sex. Sex is fun and burns calories :)

No comments: