Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Get Thin By Breastfeeding

We already know how great breastfeeding is for our babies, but now we know it's also good for us...cutting down health risks like breast cancer and other health problems.
There's something else too, burning calories.

I weaned my child at a year old and got back to my pre-pregnant weight by that time but shortly after weaning him (in the last year) I have put back on 5lbs.
A little part of me wishes I'd nursed until he was two!
For one thing, breastfeeding burns 500 calories a day. Do you know how much free chocolate that is? Do you know how much running, pilates, aerobics you'd have to do to burn 500 calories?
I saw on Desperate Housewives a while back, that episode where the mother was nursing her 5 year old and briefly missed it because I could eat like a madwoman (and believe me, I did!) and the weight was falling off me and I had a rack to be proud off (although it was off limits to anyone but the baby :)

Now that I'm smoke-free for three years, I don't have the metabolism I once did.
Probably now being in my 30's hasn't helped that matter either.

If I take the plunge one more time, would there be anything wrong with breastfeeding for a very extended period of time?
LOL.
Bring on the donuts!
~~~

No comments: